- Nicholas Temperley. The Music of the English Parish Church. 2 vols. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1979.
- A comprehensive study of Anglican parochial church music, including hymns and hymn singing up to 1965. Reprinted (with the new preface) 2006.
- Nicholas Temperley and Charles G. Manns. Fuging Tunes in the Eighteenth Century. Detroit Studies in Music Bibliography, No. 49. Detroit: Information Coordinators, 1983.
- A pilot study for the printed HTI.
- Stanley Sadie, ed. The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. 2nd edition. London: Macmillan, 2001.
- Contains useful articles on "Hymn", "Psalms (Metrical)", "Psalmody", and the music of various Christian denominations such as Anglicanism, Methodism, Congregationalism, etc.
- D. DeWitt Wasson. Hymntune Index and Related Materials. 3 vols. Langham, Maryland: Scarecrow press, 1998.
- A valuable index of contemporary hymnals, specially useful for finding post-1820 tunes. The indexing method is different from ours, but is thoroughly explained in the introduction.
For reviews of the printed HTI, see What Others Think.